Saturday 29 November 2008

Melvins - Eggnog (1991) & Lysol (1992)



Some Melvins were requested a while back and I hesitated posting anything at the time because I thought this blog had a lot of Melvins already and their music really isn't to difficult to find out there if you just take the time to look.  But I just saw them play a great show at the Troubadour last night and I thought I'd share my personal favorites.  I don't think I really need to go into any description of the band because we all know who they are.  Eggnog and Lysol are really the Melvins in their prime in my opinion.  The early 90's were sort of a slower sludgier phase for them and their music was just so much different than everything else coming out at the time.  I was fortunate enough to see them play these two albums together in their entirety at a concert a couple of years ago and was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

3 comments:

  1. Classics. Eggnog is unbeatable. I saw the Melvins in Boston around the time that these records were released, with Helmet opening for them. Amazing show.-Stompbox Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. CRAZY! I saw Melvins in Boston at the RAT right before this record dropped opening for Cows.

    Buzzo had a shaved head except for three little sausage nuggets on top! They were in full Flipper mode, Flipper fish on everything. Dale nailed two-by-fours to the stage in front of his kit and his cymbals were just fucking shattered, huge chunks missing all over. Joe looked like Al Franken. They opened with what we would later know and love as Charmicarmacat, but we had no clue at that point. This was really confusing as Buzzo was playing his guitar with an BATTERY and an ocataver pedal with just rumbling noise FOREVER. About four minutes in, I was getting nervous! Anyway they played six songs, I remember Hog Leg, Sacrifice and Charmacarmicat. Nirvana were there for an FNX record release party for 'Nevermind' the next day. Krist invited us, but we lived in Maine, whatever we fucked up, okay.

    Anyway, very important show. Cows were also fucking fantastic live - much better than on record.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i personally like ozma the best

    ReplyDelete